Saturday, April 10, 2010

Struggling to accept ....

.... why someone who is so lovely, kind and caring should die from cancer at 26? One of my colleagues in my previous job was diagnosed with bowel cancer about a year ago, by the time they caught it, it had spread to her liver and lungs. She died on Thursday. I know people always say nice things when someone dies, but this girl really was a lovely person who would do anything to help anyone.

I feel so angry that she has missed so many things she should have been able to take for granted, like getting married and having children etc. If I think back at what I'd done with my life at 26, it wasn't anywhere near enough. I hadn't bought my house, I hadn't really fallen in love, I hadn't got my first dog of my own, I hadn't become an auntie, I'm sure I could think of more!

So ... I'm going to give a lecture ... appreciate what and who you have in your life, it is all so precious and fragile and you don't know how long you will have it. Tell those you love, that you love them as often as you can and be gentle with them. Don't worry about what you don't have, most of it is unimportant. Do the things that make you happy.

Lecture over, now I am going to prepare for the dinner party I'm holding tonight and do what my friend would want ... I'm going to smile, laugh, have a drink with friends and appreciate that I have them. Then I am going to hold my fiance close and tell him how much I love him.

Laura - you were a very special person who has touched my life very deeply. I admire your dignity and bravery in facing your illness and I hope you rest in the peace you truly deserve. No more pain, sweetheart.

No comments: