Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hello and Welcome

Well, here goes!! I've never considered posting a blog before but I thought I would take the plunge and give it a whirl!

I am two weeks away from having a gastric band fitted in order to help me lose all the excess weight I have gained in the last ten years. I thought I would start this blog because in my research into this procedure I could not find a blog to give me an honest account of what it is like - mind you, that may say more about my computer skills than anything else! I also thought this might be interesting for me to look back at in the future to see the journey on which I am about to embark.

I am both excited and nervous at the prospect before me. The idea of surgery doesn't really bother me, I have had more than my fair share over the years and I know the drill. It is more the change to my lifestyle that this operation is going to bring. I think I am as ready as I can be to embrace the changes that are about to take place - but what if I'm not, I can't just turn around and say 'Sorry, my mistake, please take it out again'. Once it's in, it's in and I'll just have to get on with it.

I'd be really interested in hearing from any experienced bandsters who can give me an insight into what I'm about to experience - or may be I'm better off in total ignorance!!! Are you sensing my confusion here!!!

I've decided to keep my identity hidden for the time being at least mainly because I am not yet sure how much information I want to share with people who actually know me.
Not because I'm trying to do a 'Fern' (with whom, incidently, I have total sympathy), but because I don't want to be scrutinised by people. I expect as I lose weight I will end up telling people how it is happening - I am a bit of a blabber mouth!

At least I hope my identity is hidden, I'm so new at this lark I'm not even sure!!


4 comments:

Jackie said...

Hi I am very interested in your blog and will look forward to following your story. I have thought about asking about his procedure but aways been too scared. I take my hat off to you, well done and keep me posted.

Bandster said...

Thanks Pink Diamond, I've thought about doing this for a few years and I've just got to the point where I can't risk gaining any more weight or I won't be able to walk - I just hope it works!!

Anonymous said...

i will look forward to following your story, my doctor has just ofered me this and i have thought about it for years, but never had the guts to ask and i was offered a gastric bypass or the band from my doc..so i will be watching your space :-)
good luck

Bandster said...

Thanks for your comment. It is such a hard decision to make, that is why I thought I would set up the blog - I would have loved to have read back over someone's story. Good luck with your own decision, personally I would not even consider the bypass, it is much more dangerous and not intended to be reversable. The band operation is about 20-30 minutes and if necessary it can be removed at a later stage.

Keep in touch and let me know what you decide to do.