Monday, June 30, 2008

Panic Stations!

Had a bit of a scare tonight! All is fine now, but I was very worried earlier.

I managed to get home from work early - the joy of flexitime!! Settled down to watch the Murray match on telly and started to get a cramping pain in my stomach. I ignored it for a while and then felt it was becoming too persistent. I thought I would go upstairs and see if I felt better lying down. As I was going up the stairs I started to feel a bit clammy and shaky.

I got to my bedroom and laid on the bed but by this time I was in full flight and could not get comfortable whatever I did. I thought it was something to do with the wonderful yoghurt diet! So I rang the nurse from the multi-disciplinary team to check whether it was something that happens sometimes. She said she had never heard of that happening and perhaps I should ring my doctor.

I decided to ring NHS Direct first and they were very good, they took a few details and then (probably because I was crying down the phone in pain) put me straight through to a nurse. She asked loads of questions and said she thought it wasn't anything serious but could be a combination of the diet, possibly a bit of dehydration and a bit of anxiety. I'm not convinced but I'm not sure what it was exactly; fortunately, it did subside after about an hour.

She also recommended Ibuprofen and, if necessary, paracetamol. Fortunately, I managed to avoid taking these - can't think they would be beneficial to my liver and I'm not wrecking all my hard work this week! I was in severe pain but do you know what was going through my mind? All I could think about was, they'd better be able to do my operation on Wednesday cos I'm not going through the ruddy yoghurt diet again!!!

I'm fine now, although a little tender. I'm going to go to bed once I've finished this post and try to get a good night's sleep. I'm on the late turn tomorrow at work so I don't have to get in until 10am which makes life a little easier.

By the way, managed to catch the last half of the tennis - cracking match, I really thought he was on his way out!!!

No comments: