Saturday, November 8, 2008

STRESS!!!!!

Sorry for the lack of posting this week - as you might guess from the title, it has been a stressful week for me!

I work as an HR Consultant for a large company, we give managers advice on how to manage their staff - usually when they have done something wrong! We advise on disciplinaries, grievances, capability issues, ill health - the works! My job, in a nutshell, is to protect the company from tribunal claims by making sure the managers follow the correct process when managing staff.
Usually, it isn't particularly stressful but this week it was! I have to add that when it gets stressful it is usually down to the manager not wanting to take my advice because they want to get rid of someone without having to take the time and effort to do it properly.

The case that stressed me out the most this week is a very unusual one. For obvious reasons, I can't give much detail, but I will say the manager involved has been putting the employee's interests before the company's in a very misguided manner. This employee is likely to end up taking the company to tribunal and because of the manager's behaviour will have a much stronger case. He is likely to claim discrimination on the grounds of his disability and could cost the company tens of thousands of pounds plus reputational damage. Fortunately, I have been taking advice from our legal department in managing it all along and it has now been handed to them completely to manage, so I am confident that I haven't made the situation worse but it has been horrible case to manage. We have tried to do everything we can to support this employee but he and his manager have played games and twisted everything we've said in an effort to squeeze more and more out of the company - ohhh it makes me mad, particularly as a disabled person myself who doesn't see my disability as a meal-ticket!!!!!

Things got particularly stressful on Thursday and it was so interesting as it was my first really horrible day since getting my band. My natural reaction was to go and buy a bar of chocolate but when I thought about it I knew my band was feeling abnormally tight and it wouldn't go down so I didn't bother. We had a team night out that night as well and I was not able to eat much of my lasagne either.

Weight hasn't been fantastic this week. I stayed the same again although it did vary during the week. Still it is THAT time of the month and my system has been a bit sluggish lately - if you know what I mean - suffice it to say I'm on the Fybogel and prune juice!!!!

No comments: