Monday, August 18, 2008

My first fill!

As regular readers will be aware, I had my first band fill on Saturday. It was very interesting!

I started off with a little moan about how little weight I'd lost. The nurse, who is absolutely lovely and has a band herself so really knows her stuff, was almost a little cross with me!! She said you aren't supposed to be losing weight at this point, that is what the fill is for. She gave me a leaflet entitled How the scales lie to us - I will put this in another post later, it makes for very interesting reading for anyone who has daily fluctuations and really tells you not to weigh everyday as the readings are not at all accurate!

We talked about the changes in my eating behaviour ie not snacking between meals, not always having a pudding when I eat out and being okay to share/leave food. She was very pleased with this and said the idea of the band was to retrain my thinking about food. Yes, it is to lose weight but that should really be a symptom of my new relationship with food.

We agreed that I probably didn't need a huge band adjustment, I felt as though I was teetering on the brink of losing and just needed a nudge in the right direction. I found out that I have a 7ml band and she gave me a 2.5ml fill. She did say that I might not get as much restriction as I was hoping but she felt it was better to take it in easy stages.

I sat on the examination table and she filled the syringe with the fluid, I thought that needle doesn't look too bad. Then she took that needle off and put on an industrial size one!!! It was a little worrying but there was nothing to worry about, it didn't really hurt much at all.

I had to take big gulps of water while she adjusted the amount she put in.

I then had to stick to fluids for 24hrs, and then mush yesterday and today.

I can feel a difference, I didn't really feel like much breakfast this morning so just had an innocent smoothie carton. I had fishcakes for lunch with chips (not exactly mush, I know but relatively soft!). I could only eat 1.5 fishcakes and I even LEFT some chips in the bowl.

I'm feeling a little bit peckish now so I may have some soup later. So far so good - lets see what the scales say next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that Carrie497?
I just wanted to say how much I love your blog and don't stop.
You mentioned earlier that you post on Gastricbanduk and I started to look out for you...as I'm a regular on that. Hope I've not got you confused...
Kerry x

Bandster said...

Hi Kerry

Yes, it's me!!! Thanks for your comments - it is so nice to get such lovely feedback and to know I'm not writing to myself!!

I've seen that you've done very well with your weightloss - mine seems to be dragging, I think I need another fill already!

Take care
Carrie