Monday, July 14, 2008

Oh dear!!

You know the saying, what goes up must come down? I think I got it wrong, in my case what goes down can very well go back up again!!! I've managed to put on some of the weight I lost!!

I think this has happened for a very good reason, I lost a lot of weight very quickly because I was eating next to nothing so now that I am able to eat more or less normally (more on that in a minute!) the weight is coming back. I'm sure I read somewhere during one of my many diet attempts that if you don't eat enough, your body will go into starvation mode and any food it gets will be stored immediately
- one day I put a pound on when all I'd eaten all day was a bowl of porridge and a bowl of soup!!! So far, of the 11lbs I lost, I've put 6 back on - whoops!! I'm sure this will sort itself out, particularly once I am allowed to have a band adjustment - which is at least 4 weeks away!

Having said all this, I have noticed a few small differences in my food consumption. Whilst I can, more or less, eat most things I am stilll being quite careful. It is still important that I don't make myself sick.

On Friday, I felt I deserved some chocolate - I hadn't had any for three weeks! I bought a small bar of dairy milk which I could normally eat without even registering it - I managed to eat four chunks when my mouth started to taste a little odd. As I was driving to my boyfriends at the time, I did not think it was wise to risk any more in case I ended up with it in my lap.

Then on Friday evening, we went out with some friends for a curry. I was a little apprehensive about this as it was the first time I'd eaten out properly with a group of people since the op and especially since only my boyfriend knew I'd had the band. I was quite hungry by the time we got our food and normally I could polish off a curry without too much of a problem, I managed just over half of it. I started to struggle and certainly did not want it to make a reappearance so I stopped - it was difficult because I was really enjoying it. However, once I stopped it was fine - sometimes I think we eat out of habit and because it is there. It was a little strange not being able to have a beer or a coke with my curry and when we went to the pub afterwards I had to be careful about what I ordered but it was fine. The next day my boyfriend was moaning that he hadn't slept because he'd been too full - I'm sorry to say I did feel a little smug!!!!

No comments: