Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Holiday Insurance

I had quite a pleasant surprise today when I booked our holiday insurance.

I work for a major insurance company so applied via the staff intranet. I put all the details in and got the quote which included a 10% staff discount. Once I had the quote, I rang the helpline to disclose that I have a medical condition - they ask questions online like do you have a condition for which you have received treatment in the last five years, well I don't have ongoing treatment as such but I don't want them to turn around and decline my claim if I haven't declared it. While I was on the phone, I thought I should also mention the band not necessarily to get it covered but, again, I didn't want this to be a reason to decline any potential claim if I hadn't declared it. The upshot is, for a premium of £6.45 they are covering my band for any problems while I am on holiday. I wasn't really expecting this but I think it is a small price to pay for the peace of mind whilst I am away. I may
have been able to get the cover due to the fact that I said the band was not done for cosmetic reasons but to help ease the symptoms of my underlying condition - but if you have a band and are planning a holiday it is worth asking!

I've decided to try to be a bit healthier in my food options this week, particularly in eating more fruit as I have not been eating so much since my band. This is because you have to avoid eating the skin and peeling things is a bit of a faff at your desk. I've been avoiding bananas as they can be a bit of a problem as they are quite gunky. Anyway, I took a small banana and two satsumas in my lunch today. The banana went down fine, but I did take it slowly! I only managed one satsuma. I'm not sure if it was the skin on the segments or what but it didn't go down too well - normally, I would eat two without a second thought, it's all new experiences!

No comments: